Reviews Wanted!!

Have you read any of our YA Authors' books? Would you like to share your thoughts, comments, or even create your own review??
If so, send all your comments and reviews to: teensread@tucsonfestivalofbooks.org No limit of entrants!!

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

A Few Words from Jewell Parker Rhodes!

We are pleased to welcome Jewell Parker Rhodes today with a few inspiring words!
So without further ado...


Growing up, books sustained me.  They made me laugh, cry, empathize with characters, and envision new places and horizons to explore.
For me, reading was the most important part of my day.  Is it any wonder that I grew up wanting to be a writer?
Though I've written many adult books, my greatest joy is writing NINTH WARD, my first book for youth! It's been such a thrill and I feel as though writing for YOU - - writing for the young woman I once was - that I've done the most important work in my life.

Please come and visit me at the Tucson Festival of Books! I'd love to talk with you about New Orleans, about the spirits that linger in the French Quarter, and about Lanesha, a brave young woman who survives Hurricane Katrina and the levees breaking.  NINTH WARD is a very special American story - it explores how racism, poverty, and gender politics can't oppress a young woman who knows and loves herself, who has the power to see ghosts, and who believes family, friendship, and a dog make life worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment